Friday, January 24, 2014

Finding Your Peace Points

The worst time of day for me is in the morning.  There is something extremely volatile about corraling the children into the car and then into my mother-in-law's house that makes the stress barometer shoot its needle out the side of my head.

My general protocol for extremely stressful situations is creating a "peace point" immediately following.  For example, when I get home from work, I like to make popcorn and hot cocoa with the kids and watch a movie or a little TV before cleaning the house or making dinner.

But how can I possibly have a peace point in between dropping the kids off and being expected to perform at work?  It seems like an impossible task that evokes more stress than dropping the kids off in the first place.  At first, I would just complain about it and wish it could all go away.  Then I realized I am now an adult and must be able to do these things.

So here is my peace after dropping the kids off:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejKCiZGewgw

Yes, I sit at a traffic light and drink my coffee.  I choose a mug, NOT a travel cup.  I pretend that I am in a cafe watching people while "easy listening" music plays overhead.  I smell the aroma of the freshly ground beans and hear the banging of the espresso filter.  I feel like I am the most important person in the world and no one can see me.  Then the light changes to green.

No comments:

Post a Comment