Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tandem Breastfeeding for Nerds

Why did I decide to do tandem breastfeeding?  Mostly because I am a breastfeeding nerd, boasting the badges of a range of breastfeeding: tandem, toddler, exclusive, on-cue, in public, pumping, pumping in public, and breastfeeding while pregnant.  I wouldn't have that first badge if it weren't for my decision.

I have to pee.  Come to the bathroom with me.


Hey,  do you want to know the real reason I tandem breastfed?

My daughter was five months old when I got pregnant with my son.  When he was born, she was only fourteen months old.  She adored breastfeeding more than anything else.  I couldn't stop her.  It didn't feel right.

Nursing two at the same time is tricky.  The youngest is poised with picture-perfect form.  He must be or else his tiny mouth won't get the milk out.  The older has a lazy latch and teeth to boot.  She is quite annoyed by this "friend" laying in her lap, as cute as he is.  This can spell disaster or the sweetest moment you ever felt.

Some tips I gleaned from my time tandem nursing:


  • Do one at a time as much as you can.  There are no points for superhero strength.  When I fed both at once, My energy level felt like the power meter from "Christmas Vacation."

  • Put the older baby on first because latching her is easier and stronger than the younger one.  You can let go of her.  The younger one can be supported by the older one's lap or football hold over a sideways Boppy.

  • If you are nursing while pregnant, know that your milk supply significantly decreases during the second trimester.  Depending on the age of the baby, you may need to add food or (gasp!) formula.  The supply and demand trust is broken during this time.  Don't fret! your supply comes with a vengeance in the third trimester!


Jaye Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment