Monday, March 17, 2014

Warm Salad with Bacon

Can you find the hiding bacon?
Greens are apparently, an important food.  If you peruse the Interwebz, you will find like, a kajillion green smoothie recipes.  As much as I love green smoothies, I HATE salads.  They are just constant chew, chew, chew!  And when I'm done, I'm hungrier than when I started.  Plus, they're cold.


So I decided to transform my salad into something warm and saucy.  It has all the delightful tang of a salad dressing, and packs WAY  more nutrients (cooking = less chewing = more leaves in your belly!).

To make one Tribal Mama warm salad, you will need:

2 strips of bacon
1/2 a medium onion, sliced
2 mushrooms
3 cups baby spinach (one of those baggies will do)
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
Olive oil to drizzle
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

1.  In a cast iron skillet, cook the bacon until it's your version of bacon perfection.
2.  Saute onion and mushrooms over medium heat.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until translucent.
3.  Add spinach and more salt.
4.  Put apple cider vinegar, along with a touch of water to get a good steam going.  Cover.
5.  Cook until spinach is barely wilted and still bright green.  Spoon into bacon bowl and drizzle with olive oil.

What's your trick to getting more veggies in?

No comments:

Post a Comment